Chanukah Is Coming!
The days are short, snow is in the air, and the sound of tinkering abounds at LifeTown. The giant dreidel has appeared in the lobby, menorah- and dreidel-shaped cookie cutters have emerged in the kitchen, and young adults have been crafting their own woodwork menorahs. Chanukah is coming!
On two recent Tuesdays, a group of young adults have been busy sanding, gluing, staining, and screwing their masterpieces. Avi was sanding and chatting. Jenna and Hannah were comparing festive nail polish shades as they glued. “I don’t think I’ve ever made a menorah before,” said Jenna, showing off her creation.
They all carefully followed the instructions DIY master Jennifer Lereah was giving. A teacher at South Orange Middle School, she took off a year to start a DIY business (Home Life with Jenn) and started volunteering with Friendship Circle on the side. “Being out of the classroom, this is really filling my teacher bucket,” she said.
Hannah and Jenna stopped chatting to follow Lereah’s instructions, then went back to their conversation. Devorah started humming as she finished up for the day. Max said “I want to see how it turns out. I’ve never done a project like this before!” All are looking forward to lighting their menorahs.
Additional Chanukah (December 18-26) programs at LifeTown and Friendship Circle and around Essex County:
- Chanukah @ Home: Come pick up a menorah for yourself or a friend at LifeTown!
- Jewish Heritage Night Dec 15 with the NJ Devils with a post-game concert with the Maccabeats
- Car Menorah Parade Monday Dec 19 at 5 pm: departing 4:45 pm from the Rabbinical College of American in Morristown, ending 6 pm at Chabad of West Orange
- Chanukah Celebration open to all Tuesday Dec 20 at 5 pm, $10 per person/$54 per family; includes juggling, a fire show, and Chinese dinner
- A Chanukah edition of Fabulous Friday Nights Shabbat Dinner at LifeTown Dec 23 at 4 pm: $10 per adult, $5 per child age 10 and under, $36 per family
- Mitzvah Mania/Chanukah Wonderland Family Fun Day, open to the entire community Dec 25, 11 am -3 pm, $15 per person, $75 per family; includes game show, theater, candle making, olive press workshop, Chanukah cookies and donut decorating, arts & crafts, open gym, indoor playground and more!
For more info visit www.FCNJ.com/Chanukah2022